This post starts a new series that I would like to share with you: High Five. A list of my five (or sometimes more!) favorite products, toys, services, etc. in different categories. As I strive to achieve my dream of working from home and being a full-time Dad, blogger, parent education facilitator and fatherhood consultant I thought it would be great to start sharing some of my favorite things that I would highly recommend to anyone. I am a part of Amazon Associates and so will be sharing links that direct you to a product or service at Amazon. I hope that if you are interested in any of these you will check them out and if you purchase from the link and know that your purchase will help support my family and I as I chase this dream 🙂 I only recommend products, toys, books that I have owned and loved, used and loved, or really, really want!
Without further ado…I thought it would be great to start with the category that really began all of this work and this blog: Books About Parenting.
- Bad Dads of the Bible: 8 Mistakes Every Good Dad Can Avoid – Still my favorite book about being a Dad and parenting and the true inspiration behind all that I have done. I felt a call to reach out to other dads and talk about fathering from this book. I felt a call to share my experiences and strive every day to be a better Dad. I can’t recommend this book enough and hope that you’ll check it out too.
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind– Another really great book that helped me look at tantrums and child behavior in a whole new way. Not only that but it offered simple and effective solutions other than yelling and commanding to help manage difficult behaviors and encourage children to understand their own emotions and self-regulate.
- Dad, Here’s What I Really Need from You: A Guide for Connecting with Your Daughter’s Heart – This is a really great book that I feel every Dad with daughters should have. While a few chapters will be more relevant once your daughter is older and entering the teenage years, it is never too early to think about how to connect with your daughter’s heart and Dads with daughters of all ages will really appreciate this book.
- 52 Things Kids Need from a Dad: What Fathers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference – Lots of great activity ideas, things to talk about with your kids and more…plus my favorite fatherhood quote: “Dad, it’s not about you. You can’t give your kids everything they need anyway. It’s about being there, doing the best you can, loving them with all your heart, and then surrendering their lives back to the Creator.”
- Intentional Parenting: Autopilot Is for Planes – Full disclosure…I haven’t finished this one yet! But, what I have read I’ve really, really enjoyed. This and books #4 and #1 on this list were books that we focused on in my fathers group that I led at my church and highly recommend each of them as individual or group study books.
DADLY Dads: Parent of the 21st Century – Ok…so just because I’m featured as one of the Dadly Dads in this book doesn’t mean that’s the only reason I’m recommending it. As I’ve said before I love fathering together with other Dads and this book really celebrates that with Dads from all over the world so please…check it out!
This is fatherhood…